Theft Crimes in Peachtree City
Facing Theft Crime Charges?
In the state of Georgia, the value of a property involved in a theft is used to determine whether the crime is a misdemeanor or a felony. Generally, any theft valued at $500 or less is considered a misdemeanor or “petty theft” while a theft crime valued at $500 or more is classified as a felony. There are instances, however, when a judge determines the classification of the theft depending on the circumstance surrounding the case. Whether you are being charged with petty or felony theft, your rights, freedom, and future are on the line. At Manning Peace, LLC, our Peachtree criminal defense lawyers have over 15 years of experience in helping clients with their theft-related charges. We are prepared to work tirelessly to achieve the outcome you deserve.
Our firm offers a free, 30-minute, and confidential consultation to discuss your case. Visit us or call (678) 515-5455 today!
Different Types of Theft Crimes & Punishments
There are several penalties for both misdemeanor and felony theft depending on the circumstances involving your case.
In Georgia, theft crimes, as well as their punishments, are classified according to the following:
- Burglary- Considered a felony with one to up to 20 years imprisonment
- Robbery- A felony charge with one to 20 years imprisonment
- Theft by conversion- A misdemeanor charge with one to 10 years jail time
- Theft of lost or mislaid property- Considered a misdemeanor with one to 10 years jail time
- Theft by taking- A misdemeanor with one to 10 years imprisonment
- Theft by receiving stolen property- A misdemeanor with one to 10 years jail time
- Theft by shoplifting- Considered a misdemeanor with one to 10 years imprisonment
You may also be asked to pay mandatory fines including up to $1,000 for petty theft and second or third offense. There is also the chance that the owner of the stolen property may decide to bring a civil action against you for the damages you have brought. When this happens, Manning Peace, LLC can help defend you in both criminal and civil courts. Our Peachtree City criminal defense attorneys are competent in these practice areas and have successfully represented clients with similar charges. You can trust that we work diligently to reduce your penalties or even dismiss your charges.
We can discuss the specifics of your case when you consult with us in-person or over the phone at (678) 515-5455!